The Kitchen Tale- Pad Thai whenever you want!
When it comes to comfort food, Pad Thai noodles totally steals the thunder in my gastronomical dictionary. What makes it so special? You can add or delete vegetables according to your wish and it is spicy and tangy, all at the same time. Love it!
When I decided to make it, I realized my refrigerator was going through a famine of its own and there was absolutely nothing interesting to add apart from a carrot lying there in its own glory. Thankfully, I had chicken in my freezer and plenty of eggs. You can add broccoli, mushrooms, sprouts, peppers, Paneer (cottage cheese) or cabbage! I prefer my Pad Thai without onions because I feel it serves no special purpose, but you can definitely add them.
- 1” Ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green Chilies
- 2-3 Garlic cloves (I used garlic powder and roasted garlic, both about half a teaspoon)
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 2 eggs
- 100gms boiled and shredded Chicken
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1tsp Soy Sauce
- 1tbsp Chili Sauce
- 2tbsp White Vinegar
- 1tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1tsp White Pepper Powder
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable/ Olive Oil
- Rice Noodles
- Boil water with a little salt and soak rice noodles in it for 10 minutes, till they are soft.
- Roast the peanuts in a frying pan if you aren’t using the ready-made salted version.
- In the same frying pan, heat vegetable oil and scramble eggs and set it aside. Add little more oil if necessary and dump in the garlic, ginger and chilies. Saute and add carrots, fry them till tender and add the shredded chicken. Fry them all up for about 2 minutes.
Then pour the chicken stock, vinegar, soy sauce and chili sauce (I made a mixture of them together and then poured it all in). Let it simmer for a while and add seasoning – salt to taste, white pepper powder, and cayenne pepper and in my case the garlic powder and roasted garlic too.
- Finally, drop in the noodles and sauté them all together till the liquid dries up, turn off heat, mix in scrambled eggs and garnish with peanuts and lime wedges!
Voila, Thailand on your plate!